Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Phuket Town

Well I won't be eating eggs again anytime soon.  We thought they were okay to eat because they aren't on our list of do not eat but now they are definitely on the do not eat list.  Spent the day shaking and threw up in the cab en route to Phuket Town and have been feeling a little wierd ever since.  Nancy and my first dinner in Phuket Town is below - not very exciting.

My luggage arrived about 5 minutes ago!  However they locked it shut with something that I don't know how to undo so I guess that will be the next thing to tackle.  Phuket Town is definitely not what I pictured it to be!  I don't exactly know what I pictured but I guess I thought it would be more commercialized but it definitely isn't.   It seems to be a poor town but clearly has a certain charm to it.  We got here about 5 hours ago, immediately took a nap and walked around for a little bit before it got dark.  The smell of food is overwhelming!  It's everywhere and made me feel pretty nauseous but hopefully tomorrow I'll feel better and can enjoy the markets because they look amazing.  We've seen a couple white people but not many and we are definitely in the minority here.  I'm thinking that will be different when we head to the beach towns this weekend because that's where all the tourists head to. We definitely have some more wandering to do here in Phuket Town and hopefully we feel well enough tomorrow to see some more of it.  People here are crazy drivers!! I can't even tell you how many times we almost got hit by scooters in the 45 minutes we were walking the streets.  There are tons of dogs and cats on the streets and everyone one is very nice and doesn't harass you like in some other countries I've been to so that is very much appreciated. 

I spent the morning today looking up schools and Nancy and I are going to venture out and attempt to get to some schools tomorrow.  We are still unsure of how we are going to get anywhere as we don't understand anyone and no one understands us.  To say we are overwhelmed is an understatement.  I applied for a great looking job today as a kindergarten teacher and the email immediately got kicked back to me so that was disappointing.  I'm so tempted to go live by the beach and waitress but that wasn't the plan so I'm going to try to stick by the original plan of me getting a teaching job.

Courtney and Shawn arrive in Bangkok tonight so hopefully we'll be seeing them here in Phuket sometime soon!  I'm going to bring my camera out tomorrow so will upload some pictures next time I post.   Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment