Monday, November 7, 2011

First Impressions

A few of my first impressions:

 - Everyone is really nice and understands that I don't have a clue what is going on...lots of smiling and nodding
- Real thai food is different than American Thai food and the distinctive smell of food is everywhere
- IT IS HOT HERE and VERY humid
-  Lots of palm trees!
-  Pad thai is not the signature thai dish like it is in America
- Jet lag is painful!
- When looking outside on my very short ride from the airport to the hotel, it reminded me of downtown Fiji - we'll have to see if that holds true when we make our way down to Phuket Town tomorrow

I know a lot of people were worried about me coming here with all of the recent flooding.  There is no flooding here in Phuket but I did see the flooding in Bangkok from the air and it was unlike anything I have ever seen before.  It was miles and miles of land underwater and what looked like large lakes everywhere when you could clearly tell there was water where it wasn't supposed to be.  Hopefully the situation gets only better and not worse.

Below is a picture of my first meal in Thailand.  Not a clue what it was, but I was determined to find a noodle dish and it was pretty good.
 

4 comments:

  1. Look at your adventurous food choice! I'm so proud

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worried about you last night - so glad for the update!! And you figured it out ALL ALONE!! I know I couldn't do it - so proud of you xxooxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy looking 1st meal!! Get out your shorts and flip flops and enjoy this adventure.
    Glad your safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good! Glad you are there safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete