Saturday, July 6, 2013

The plan was to move to Honduras but......

INSTEAD I'M MOVING TO VIETNAM.....

I have no idea when/how I became the type of person to drop my life and move across the world but I'm doing it again and I am so excited.  First, Thailand and now Vietnam.  If you are wondering how I got to this place in my life and whatever happened to my time in Thailand, please read my "Sawadee Ka Noodle Nonsense (and March 2012)" post.   When I was writing that post and the ones that followed it, I had full intentions on moving to Honduras in August and teaching 5th grade at a bilingual school in the mountains of Juticalpa.  Then the month of May arrived and I was called about a fellowship in Kigali, Rwanda that I had applied for months earlier.  I spent the entire month going through rounds and rounds of skype interviews and projects and they went so far as to call my references in Thailand and in Boston.  I was supposed to find out the last day of May but didn't hear from them.  Instead the last day of May, I was contacted by the director of WorldTeach saying they had just got funding for a program in Vietnam and needed people asap and asked if I wanted to be considered for it.  (After I got rejected from their Bangladesh program in the beginning of March, they asked if I wanted to be considered for their China or their Colombia program and I said no thank you and committed to Honduras instead). 
Anyways, I said yes I'd like to be considered and ended up getting that position the same day I got rejected from Rwanda at the beginning of June.  I decided I'd rather go to Vietnam than Honduras due to a number of different reasons so I'm en route to SE Asia right now!  I had a whirlwind last three weeks trying to get everything together and come to terms with my last minute switch but I'm pretty sure that I made the right decision.  Instead of moving to Central America in August, I got on a plane two hours after school ended for the year in Andover and am now headed to Vietnam.  This has all been so last minute that I don't even know what I'll be teaching or what grade or where I'll be living.  WorldTeach found six other people who were also crazy enough to drop their lives and move to Hanoi so I'm not totally alone in this. 


I just spent an amazing week in San Francisco with Jen and Ryan and am now in the airport waiting for my 1:30 am flight to Taipei.  I don't have any idea what my internet access will be like in Hanoi but I am going to make an effort to try to keep this up because I know my family worries about me wandering the world.   I visited Hanoi back in October and I know there are internet cafes and restaurants with wifi but it will probably take me a few weeks to get my bearings and figure out how to get from place to places.  

I've got a one-way ticket and it's time to say, Goodbye America!
Last dinner...homemade Italian of course
Happy ____ for all the holidays I'm going to miss...THANKS JEN YOU'RE THE BEST!


No comments:

Post a Comment